Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Series In Proverbs

When the kids where little and home all day with me, I had a nice schedule that I kept to keep us busy, productive and cheerful. We started the day with breakfast and I always read a Bible story while the kids ate. Before the kids where allowed to leave the table, they had to say a memory verse. The majority of the verses where from Proverbs. I wrote them on note cards and kept them at the table so that we would be consistent with our verse memorization. It has proved a good idea and now that mornings are busy with school preparations, I find it amazing to find time to do anything but eat, clean, dress and run out the door. But I have been trying to reinstate our old tradition because of the fruit I have seen from it. They still know the verses and Jason and I know them as well so it is easy to call them to mind in times of great need. And we find that these times of great need occur multiple times throughout each day. I often picked verses that I needed to memorize, finding that if mom is struggling in one area you can be sure that kids are right their with her. And it taught and is teaching the kids how to meditate on Gods word. Jason has pointed out a number of times to different groups of people, that meditating on Gods word is a public practice. It is not something that is meant to be in solitude. Meditating is the art of interacting with God's word with each other. God is a Trinity and never alone; He is always in conversation, the Son with the Spirit and Father, the Father with the Son and the Spirit, and the Spirit with the Father and Son. And so we are to imitate this. You should be in the word, getting yourself familiar with the stories, the poetry, the wisdom. But you do this not to internalize it all in your private little devotion but you take in God's word so that you can pour it out on those around you. You pour it out by talking about what you read. You pour it out by asking your kids specific questions about the text so that they can take it in and pour it out. And that is the gospel preached! You want to get good at this. It is something to strive for, to do in excellence. Memorizing scriptures with your kids will give you and them wisdom. It will teach how to meditate on God's word. It will lay a foundation for them that will bless them daily.

My future posts will therefore be meditations on proverbs that I have memorized with the kids.

Happy Sweeping to you and I look forward to meditating on God's word in the book of Proverbs with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment